Wednesday, August 26, 2009

A trip to Colorado - Part 1

On Thursday the 20th Suzanne and I flew into Denver and rented a Hertz-mobile for the drive to Winter Park. I've been through this town before but so many years ago I can't really remember anything other than that I've been there. Prior trips to the state have been mostly in the winter for skiing so it was fun to be there in the summer for a change. At my neice's insistence we booked into a bed and breakfast along with a collection of other relatives of hers and her now-husband Craig. This gave us a chance to meet the rest of the family as well as catch up with my other neice Wenny and nephew Ryan as well as my sister Pat. Good times.

The wedding that was the reason for the trip was between my niece Rachel and her new husband Craig. The event was at a really cool place called Devil's Thumb Ranch which was highly reminiscent of the spot Suzanne and I had our wedding at. A nice ceremony (if I do say so myself) and great food at the following reception. It was very nice to reconnect with everyone and meet the new folks that are now in my family list.

We also managed to visit the Winter Park ski hill while there - another Intrawest property (like Whistler) so it's very nicely done. The hill was smothered with mountain bikers the day we visited. Based on the fact that they were all dressed like darker versions of the Star Wars storm troopers (i.e. shrouded in plastic protective gear) I've determined that I have little interest in pursuing this sport. It's clear that some portion of your time is spent in crashing into the rocks and gravel, else why all the plastic shin and knee and arm protection?? Think I'll stick to walking.

We also tried the summer "tobaggan" run on the mountain which was fun. It consists of what seemed to be some sort of plastic track which contained the wheeled sled you ride to the bottom. Pulling back on the center mounted "stick" caused the wheels to retract and skids to come in contact with the track, thereby slowing you down. Forward on the stick results in wheels descending and speed increasing very quickly - much the same as the effect experience by pushing your stick forward in the airplane! Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers